My Top 10 Predictions for 2009

Posted by Genna | Posted in , , , , , , | Posted on 2/02/2009

1

Ten Predictions for 2009

These are my top ten predictions for 2009. If they don’t happen, I guess I’ll have to eat my words, but from watching these drivers and their teams, I think I’m on the right track for the most part. So in no particular order, my top 10 predictions for 2009.


Tony Stewart will win. I know it sounds farfetched and ridiculous after his performance in 2008 but I honestly believe he will overcome everything and win a race this season. Think about the Hendrick power he’s got under the hood and the millions he’s put into Stewart Haas Racing. He will win and he will do it in the first half of the season.

Mark Martin will be a Chase contender. I know a lot of you may be thinking “what? Martin? But he’s old and crusty!” and that may very well be but do you recall the 2007 Daytona 500? This man is still contending for race wins! The man can drive and again, he’s got that Hendrick power under the hood. Now that he’s *thankfully* out of DEI, I believe he’ll be well able to prove to the fans just how great a race he really is.

Joey Logano isn’t going to quite live up to all the hype. They call him the greatest thing since sliced bread, or just plain old Sliced Bread for short, but is Joey Logano at 18 years old really ready for the Cup series? He started three races in the 96 car last season and he didn’t run very well in any of them. I don’t think that one season in the Nationwide series is enough. He probably needs at least another season or two under his belt before making it to the big leagues. But what do I know? I’m just a fan.

Greg Biffle will also be a Chase contender. He might even win that elusive championship and make NASCAR history by becoming the first driver to win a championship in all three of NASCAR’s top series. In the 2008 season he killed ‘em with back to back wins at Dover and NHIS, proving that he was not one to be counted out yet. In the last ten races of the season known as the Chase, Biffle had plenty to smile about. He finished 3rd in the 3rd chase race at Kansas, but got taken out by his teammate, Edwards at Talladega. He went on to finish 7th at Charlotte, 12th at Martinsville, 10th in Atlanta, 5th at Texas, 11th at Phoenix, and had some bad luck in the season finale at Homestead-Miami where he finished 18th. But in those last 10 races, he had a very impressive resume with 4 top 5’s and 6 top 10’s total. He’s easily one of NASCAR’s most underrated drivers.

Jimmie Johnson won’t win his 4th championship in a row. News flash: Its never been done. It never will be done. Not in our lifetime. 3 Champs in a row is impressive but lets see you get 200 career wins, oh Jimmie dear.

The DEI-Ganassi merger will crash and burn. Two failing organizations with sub par drivers that have both lost the best they had to offer and they expect that by merging it will fix all their problems? Think again guys. But at least we can say they went down swinging, right? I’m not wishing harm on them, just calling it how I see it.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will make his great comeback. The boy will win races, contend for the championship and keep his car in the top 5, at the very least. And as if the man wasn’t popular enough, he will grow even more in popularity. He’ll probably win NASCAR’s most popular driver, again. I predict he’ll have may one DNF, but no more than that. As for race wins, I’m thinking at least 2-3, probably more.

Jeff Gordon will win a race. And he’ll probably win more than one. Every driver has to have a season where they’re a little off but last year, Gordon was way off. He did not win one race last season and I think it probably motivated him even more to try that much harder this year to win. I believe he’s a top contender for the Chase again this year and he will be very determined and motivated.

We’ll have a very unexpected first time winner. Whether its someone like Aric Almirola with a couple of partial seasons under his belt or Reed Sorenson in his new number 43 car, someone is going to come out if this season with a surprising victory.

There will be a first time champ. Whether it be Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, Dale Jr., or Mark Martin, there won’t be a repeat champion this year.

Remember these are simply my opinions. You don't have to agree with them and if you don't, I really don't care. If you do, then cool for you.

Comments Posted (1)

You're not predicting a championship for Tony. Don't blame you, as much as I'd like to see it. It's a bridge too far for a new team owner/driver.

Pretty good prediction that JJ won't win fourth consecutive championship. Don't wanna see it and he's not exactly my favorite driver, nor is Hendricks one of my favorite teams. Think the last driver Hendricks had that I really cared for was Terry Labonte.

No one will ever again win 200 Cup races. I doubt anyone will get to the 80 something that DE has. Especially with the Chase format. It's not geared toward max wins - it's geared to consistent racing over the season.

The King won those 200 races in an era when NASCAR was totally different. When they ran sanctioned races year round, sometimes 50 races a year.

@slugger41

Post a Comment